2017.... 2017..... 2017 is the year when I will start and finish a castle in a single year:) going to be kind of hard because I don't want to demolish my current castle as I want two castles.... though castle might be a bit of an exaggeration of what I've built and want to build as it's more of a keep
I do want to master another guild in 2017.
I want to advance one more rank in 2017.
I want to average out to one free build a month.
I want to enter 50% of GC's with one or more builds.
I want to enteread 50% of LC's with one or more builds.
I want to outfit all of my Knights with capes (should be easy as I can make them... right?)
As I began to realise that my 'hobby' time is likely to reduce over the next year, and that my inspiration and builds for LoR have been few and far between over the last year I started to think what my plans would be for 2015 (a calendar of LoR LCs and GCs would help with this... just saying)...
You may have things you want to build, ideas you want to try, sets you're looking forward to/saving up for or other lego related stuff.
Here are mine, feel free to share yours.
1. Bring my LoR character to a place where he can easily dip in and out of LCs/GCs (where time allows). I had been trying to write my own story but kept drawing a blank and it made it tricky to interact with the LoR as a whole.
3. Tidy my lego space/office. I made a start last year by trying to organise my minifig parts (www.flickr.com/photos/andhe/15617762289/) but still have a little way to go. A lot of time MOCing is wasted looking for that right piece that I just know is in one of these boxes...
4. Reduce my LEGO collection... I know this sounds drastic, but I have far move than I need, or can use and it's taking up too much space (which links into the tidying part). Anyway stay tuned for a bit of a sale/clear out in the next few months. Half the hassle is sorting it to sell/trade.
5. Spend less on Bricklink. I'm always amazed how I can go on Bricklink for a few specific pieces and end up sinking £20. I'd never go into a shop and spend that amount on a whim, but when it's online it doesn't feel like you're ACTUALLY spending it... (and I quite fancy saving up for the new modular building...)
6. Break the CMF habit. I told myself series 10 was my last, then series 11... I ended up buying a couple of The Simpsons figs 'just to see'... then got a few of the TLM figs because I'd enjoyed the movie... managed to wean myself onto just getting my 'favourites' in series 12 and now feel sucked into series 13. To be honest £2.50 is TOO MUCH for a single mass prodiuced and cheap quality fig.
8. Attend 'STEAM', a lego convention/exhibition in England. I had hoped to go the last two years but other commitments came up. I enjoyed reading a bit of the write up in BLOCKS magazine however (a fairly new British based AFOL magazine).
Think that's it for me.... How about you?
I thought I'd check up on how I did this year, then realised it's 2016 that's almost gone not 2015... and still haven't achieved some of my goals...
Pretty much given up on 1. Jaykob may be eternally stuck on that mountain... 2. Still in the back of my mind... but no significant progress (I actually slid into a more Star Wars vibe this year... but we'll see what 2017 holds) 3. Bit more sorting, but some major upheaval ahead, so I've got a feeling a lot more sorting will be required in the future 4. Meh 5. Haven't kept track of my bricklink habits, a few lapses here and there but no monthly expenditure. The trick is to not go on the site 6. Think I've pretty much broken the habit now. Having not completed the last few series, it makes the desire to complete any future series futile. 7. My Super Hero stuff has also tailed off this year, though enjoyed putting together a 'Advent Calendar' Contest that has a few days left to reveal www.flickr.com/photos/andhe/albums/72157673295089454 8. Maybe next year...
Here's to 2017. May all your presents have that distinct danish rattle...
BOOOOOOOOOO! Just wrote out a massive reply to all this, then it failed to post... so here goes again...
2. Build another 'wizardy' build - FAIL. I dipped my toe into the Wizarding world of Harry Potter following the hype of the new sets and cmf series but most my castle building was through my 'classic 4x4s' that I enjoyed and intend to continue merlins-beard.freeforums.net/post/30266. I'd also like to change my Medieval Market setup to classic smilies so I can integrate the 4x4s I've already built.
3. Tidy my lego space/office - ONGOING. I'm aiming to get a seperate desk for my lego stuff and have a bit of proper space for my city layout.
4. Reduce my LEGO collection... - ONGOING. I managed to trade for the Detective's Office at the beginning of this year (I think??) but still have a number of sets that I don't have space to display or use. If anyone is interested in a Troll's Mountain Fortress at a competitive price let me know.
5. Spend less on Bricklink - PROGRESS. Haven't checked but it feels like I made progress anyway...
6. Break the CMF habit - ACHIEVED. I think the constant Ninjago/Batman/Disney cmfs broke the wave for me and generally I've picked up the ones I want, then any others when they're cheap. I suspect the The Lego Movie 2 series may also see another price hike. I've also made a large frame that I'm intending to put my favourites from series 1-10.
7. Superhero Stuff - ONGOING. The League of Heroes flickr group has had its ups and downs. I've run a couple of challenges but they haven't been that well entered so thinking I'll give that a break this year to focus on my own stuff.
8. Attend 'STEAM', a lego convention/exhibition in England - ACHIEVED (in 2017 I think??). It was nice to attend and I picked up some minifig parts I was after but I think I've been spoiled by seeing all the large castle displays at American conventions online. The british AFOL scene seems to be more sci-fi. I also felt I'd probably enjoyed it more as an AFOL if I was displaying or gone with friends as it was mainly families etc.
9. Feels like I should round it out to 10 so... Work on my city layout - ONGOING Would like to raise the funds for the downtown diner modular. I have an idea to build it mirrored so it fits next to my Detectives office, but we'll see whether that happens.
10. Bring the Lands of Roawia to a fitting 'close - ONGOING. I've started writing a final installment/challenge that will bring the LoR story to a 'close' but allow people to continue building in the world if they wish (local challenges etc). So watch this space...